The recipes that I share here are simple enough for an average person to cook them, no chef’s hat required, are affordable and vegetarian.
Eating plant-based also takes a significant amount of stress out of the equation, as I am never afraid to overcook or undercook my “meat.”
The first recipe I want to share is a weekday staple in our home.
It is both delicious and toddler approved!
The portions are cooked for two adults and one toddler, but recipe can be doubled.
Honey Garlic Stir-Fried “Beef” and Vegetables
One package of meatless beef strips
My favourite is Farm Boy’s Meatless Tenders or PC Brand Beefless Strips (thawed)
½ Sweet Onion Chopped
1 Green Pepper
½ Package of Button Mushrooms (Halved)
Sauce & Spices
VH Honey or Medium Garlic Sauce
Salt & Pepper
I use coconut oil to fry the meat and vegetable oil for the veggies, but use what you prefer!
On The Side
I usually pair this one with rice
The Zojirushi Rice Cooker is what I use almost daily for perfect rice
1. Cook rice according to package directions
2. Chop veggies into bite-size pieces, adding a small amount of salt and pepper
3. On low-medium heat, cook veggies in oil until soft (onions should be translucent, not brown)
4. Similarly, cook meat until golden brown
5. Transfer veggies and meat into a large skillet
6. On low-medium heat, add VH sauce until meat & vegetable are covered about half-way
7. Slowly simmer until sauce becomes sticky and has coated meat and infused veggies
8. Serve over rice with soy sauce, hot sauce, etc.
Taste-test half-way through cooking.
If you don’t taste enough of the sauce flavor midway through cooking, add-in a little more until desired flavor is achieved.
If you add too much sauce in the beginning, it may drown the meat & veggies.
The salt and pepper should be added sparingly as the sauce has salt included.
I’ve learned that cooking “low and slow” is the best way to go oftentimes.
© 2019 KayNotto
All Rights Reserved